Back in 1907, St. Vincent's College became DePaul University centered on Sheffield and Webster Avenues. By that same year, St. Vincent de Paul church , The Lyceum building as well as the College Theatre were built. The total cost of the three buildings was $500,000. The College building, current Peter V. Byrne building was serving a variety of educational purposes. The Athletic Field was located behind St. Vincent de Paul church, as shown in this aerial view of DePaul campus from 1908 . The Athletic Field provided a site for baseball and football games from 1899 until approximately 1955. In 2000, the Student Center was erected on the portion of that site.
The College Theatre building, also known as "The Barn," was serving a number of purposes. It was used for school dances, commencements, lectures and more. In 1967, the building caught fire and it was eventually torn down in 1976. Ray Meyer Fitness and Recreation Center was built at the original site of "The Barn" in 1999.
The Lyceum building also served a number of purposes during its lifetime. From 1910-1911, it housed the DePaul High School for Girls. In 1912, the DePaul School of Music moved in and remained there until 1930. In the 1930s, the Liberal Arts Library and President's Office moved into this building and it became known as the Library and Administration building. The building was razed in 1987. The Ray Meyer Fitness Center is now located in its location.
The interactive map on the left hand side of the screen includes a timeline at the bottom. To activate the timeline, click with the cursor in an empty space on the timeline, hold the cursor down, and drag it along. The buildings that used to be on Lincoln campus at the beginning of the last century but were eventually torn down will appear first (during the decade when they were erected) and eventually disappear as you approach the decade when they were torn down.Once you reach 2017, only the buildings that currently exist will be highlighted on the map.
The trace images (created using scalable vector graphics (svg) code obtained from Adobe Illustrator) indicate sites/buildings that were torn down and no longer exist. Starting with 2010 decade (on the timeline), the yellow polygons on the map indicate buildings that have persisted since 1900 whereas red polygons indicate recently built buildings.
Special thanks to DePaul Special Collections and Archives and Digital Services for making the images of university buildings accessible and available for use.